30 November 2005

What!? Something serious?

I frequently have a strong sense of irritation and wonder at the seemingly new phenommenon of people having a "midlife crisis" in their 20's - well ahead of the age we normally associate with this kind of crap. While for me, this pretty much makes sense because though a mere twenty nine, I have about ten years left at the outside, but for most of the other happy people who will live to be old, why suffer from revelations at thirty? Does it take people this long to figure out we're lied to about the "American Dream(c)" from the time that we're kids? Does everyone even go through it, or is it a reckoning for those who pursue money and ease only to find no meaning in them? I certainly like money, but have not pursued it as a goal, and still find myself in this "crisis", sans the cash. So, what is it, money or meaning? Money has no meaning in and of itself, and dreams ain't worth shit without the capital to get 'em off the ground, so where's the cake and how do I get some... Some people get around this by saying things like "I find meaning where I can" or "the journey is the reward" and maybe this works for them. Hey yeah, you know I'd love it if had a low IQ too, but to put our faith in spurious sayings that bipass the essence of the conflict only does a disservice to ourselves by basically saying 'you know, I'll put off thinking about that one until I'm dead, at which point you can't argue with me any more'. I don't know. Do you?

5 Comments:

Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

Sans the name, Mr. Tooserious. Hey your Undead, just eat some brains.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Joey Polanski said...

Life is fer laffin at. That aint no spurios sayin fer lamebranes. Its th edvise of Wise Stubb hisself.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Thank The Holy Snack Cart! You're back.

I've got a little solution for you (very little). There might only be suffering out there and no cake, no promise of youth fulfilled, no pot o gold under Father Snuffy's cassock. SO...

Make sure you suffer for the right things.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Mr. Tooserious said...

True, in the end, tis folly to chase a questions whose answer is not only ephemeral and heavily mired in subjective perception, but is not universal. That's the problem with meaning, it truly is no one thing. I suppose it's just a deep seated desire to have my epitaph read: "And so this life we have had, have you lived the one you wanted? I did."

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And then I got my balls laminated.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home